Tuesday, January 12, 2010

'57 Chevy & Road Runner

It's 4 am, I'm on call, and I'm pretty sure I have strep throat; I've been up since one with a fever and dysphagia and a tender cervical lymph node, as well as that wicked all-over body pain that just won't let a person rest, despite a gram of tylenol every 4 hours since yesterday afternoon. I'm trying to decide if I should phone a colleague now, and alert them that if a bad thing comes to the ER, I won't be able to handle it so could they please take over call, or if I should wait and call only if a bad thing does arrive, or if I should just suck it up and hope for the best? Would you want a febrile physician at 4 am treating your heart attack?
I'm pretty sure now that I've sat up to blog, someone will be coming in. There are all sorts of things on call that jinx a person, like getting up to pee, saying, "Man, it's been a quiet night," etc. Also, I tend to wake up ten or fifteen minutes before I'm called in the middle of the night, as if I can sense when a person, sick at home, makes the decision to come to the ER. I don't have that sense now... but then saying that, I've probably just jinxed myself.
I'm supposed to tell you about the drinks that I made on Sunday: a '57 Chevy, pineapple juice and Grand Marnier and whiskey and vodka, everything that's gross in the world basically, combined into one big gross concoction; and also a Road Runner, a very tasty martini with coconut cream and ordinary cream and vodka and nutmeg and something else that I don't recall. Now I have to figure out what to do with 19/20ths of a can of coconut cream, which goes bad in the fridge in 2 or 3 days - and having strep throat, I probably won't be throwing a Pina Colada party. Maybe I'll check Epicurious for a dessert recipe. Could there be such a thing?
Okay, I'm off, to lay awake in pain again, waiting for the painful morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment