Thursday, January 7, 2010

Miss Scarlett

Yay, we're going to Las Vegas again! I love that city. This is me in the parking lot of the Sam Boyd Stadium the morning of the U2 concert, last October. Always happy in Las Vegas.
Tonight I skipped an important meeting, failed to round on my (stable) inpatients, and let Caleb miss karate, so that I could play Super Mario Bros. with Jule and make a cocktail. I missed my walk but did some sit-ups, and surfing pop-ups, also good exercise. Now I have the chills and am feeling unsure about my short haircut and am tired of the novel I'm reading ("The Return of the Native", Thomas Hardy), and might just head to bed after this. I talked to Mom and Dad last night, and they seem to have had a difficult week, which makes me want to throw a bomb into the middle of their lives and make them start again - but I can't, of course. They are adults. We cancelled the Bahamas trip that we had booked for January because we felt we couldn't afford to go to Calgary for Christmas and to the Bahamas two weeks later, and also we weren't sure how Dad would fair and if we'd have to stay in Alberta longer, but Caleb and Jule were disappointed, and we were discouraged, to have the whole winter stretching ahead of us with no relief, so when we discovered another great West Jet seat sale today we just couldn't help but book something. There's a very useful-looking emergency medicine conference in Las Vegas in March, and I've wanted for years to hike to Havasu Falls, so that's what we're planning to do!
I quickly muddled together raspberries and lime, added a dash of sugar syrup, raspberry vodka, and soda water for a "Miss Scarlett", which I'm finishing up now. Crisp and refreshing. Raspberries and lime are a great combination.
Oooh... must go to that sushi restaurant at the Bellagio again, in Vegas. The best shrimp ever.
I've learned that I can't survive the monotony of full-time work without a vacation to plan and look forward to, at all times. Immediately on finishing a trip I start planning the next one, and canceling the Bahamas really threw me for a loop. Whatever that means. I keep dreaming about oceans and heat. Oceans and heat, raspberries and lime - great combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment