Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Polish Martini & Madras


"Polish martini? What's in that - vodka, vodka, and more vodka?" my Polish husband asks. Exactly right: Polish vodka, Bison Grass vodka, and honey vodka (Krupnik), along with a smidgeon of apple juice and a lemon twist, stirred with ice and poured off into a chilled martini glass. Not shaken, but stirred, whatever difference that makes.
Not bad, but too much vodka for me and I don't like honey or apple juice much, either. So I also made a Madras, today, which contains vodka, cranberry juice, and orange juice, and is kind of blah also, a poor use for fresh-squeezed orange juice, I say.
Then we had a belated Christmas turkey dinner, with good gravy but not-so-magical mashed potatoes, as we had only the yellow-fleshed kind, and cold cauliflower and carrots. The homemade cranberry sauce was good, though, and turkey sandwiches should be satisfying tomorrow for lunch.
This picture is of my Polish husband and my Polish-Mennonite son acting like idiots at Halloween. Pat wore a hoop contraption to simulate mega-fatness and a cap with grimy long hair and this Hawaiian get-up - he was supposed to be a redneck. Caleb was a Storm Trooper.
I was an eighties girl with a walkman on my hip, crimped hair, and a pleather dress. Pat got tons of laughs, but nobody knew what I was supposed to be. "Your husband says you're stuck in the '80's," Angie said. Oh, well. I was more attractive than him, at least. Last year I dressed as Princess Leia and it went over really well, because it was recognizable. I had hair extensions which I braided into nests and pinned into my pigtails, and a costume that I ordered online, and I shot at everyone with a white toy Star Wars gun of Caleb's, strapped across my chest.
For the longest time, Pat thought his mother was Ukranian and his father Polish, but recently I asked his parents and it turns out they're both Polish, through and through. So there's no Ukranian in him at all, and he has to stop making Ukranian jokes about himself, and embrace his Polish heritage. I'm thawing out a Polish martini for him as we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment